26 Sep Indie Mocku-Doc “Con Artists” Represents Everything Right in The World
A good friend of mine Arif S. Kinchen invited me to a screening of hilarious independent mocku-doc Con Artists starring Yuri Lowenthal ( Ben 10: Alien Force), Tara Platt (Naruto) and Boris Kievsky (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3). Playing out like a geeked out version of Borat, the film has Kievsky (serving also as writer/director/producer) following Lowenthal and Platt (both getting writing/producer credit also) around as the two run the comic convention circuit. Con Artists makes the right moves by unapologetically immersing itself in the culture of the popular conventions while having fun with the day-to-day lives of the focal characters. Making the film interesting is how mundane yet normal both Lowenthal and Platt’s lives seem even in their niche celebritydom, something that’s perfectly played upon as the film draws to it’s conclusion. There’s always a self awareness in every shot that works on so many levels.
Here are some of my favorite moments from the film:
- * Explaining comic convention lingo – Who knew that there was a term for bad hygiene and aggressive hugs?
- * Lowenthal mixing liquor with Ramune – Gotta try that ASAP.
- * Platt doing her voice over warm up – I went home, tried to do that in the mirror and looked completely foolish.
- * Kievsky’s parents – Not even going to spoil how flat out funny they were.
- * Lowenthal’s expansive DVD collection – Easily defecates on mine.
Con Artists is insightful, funny and charming. For those who are into the geek culture or even remotely interested, it’s just so much to love and appreciate about this film.
Those looking for more information on Con Artists can click here.